Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Books Vs TV

Today, I went to The Playcentre Library Association, a non-profit library. Some of the books are old but are of good quality, in good conditions and well-organized. It is run by volunteers and they have many good children books that I would like to borrow for Sean.

One of the volunteers, Judy, maybe a committee member, said that children under 2 should not watch TV at all because the flickering of the TV affects their attention span. I'm not too strict about letting him not watch at all. I think some TV is acceptable. But it's true that Sean's attention span is really short.

Judy read 2 books to show me how to read them out loud. She was really good! I'm not sure if I can read the books the way she did it. Gotta listen to her story telling more and learn =D

So I joined the library membership and am hoping to get more good tips about reading to Sean. I'm supposed to read to him the same book about 5-7 times a day! Not sure if I can do that, but I'll start with once or twice a day. I have been slacking in that area. =P

But it's also because Sean hasn't been interested in books recently. He can't sit still to listen to me reading a book to him. He prefers to watch TV and I've been letting the TV to babysit him too. Sam is into TV and keeps saying how are we going to entertain Sean for so many hours with no TV?

I don't know how to fill that many hours with activities. As it is, it takes a lot of energy just to entertain him for half an hour without TV. But somehow, I've got to start weaning him off the TV a bit at a time again. He really has been watching waaayy too much TV.

I think it's going to be an uphill battle for me. Gotta fight both Sam and Sean!

If you want to join the library, here's the info:

Playcentre Library Association

16, Jalan 6/6, 46000 Petaling Jaya
Tel: 03-77817813

Library hours:
Tue 9.30 am - 4.30 pm
Thu 9.30 am - 12.30 pm
Sat 2.30 pm - 4.30 pm

5 comments:

jazzmint said...

I'm having the same prob as u...which is why weekend i refuse to on the tv for him

Mary said...

koko is such bad influence... =D esp e southpark!! I think sean sean learns more from it than koko realises

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

Sigh....TV is such a good babysitter though.......

Mamalina said...

Jazzmint: The problem if you have a rule of no TV at all during weekend, is that you'll have to find things for them that's more fun than TV.

Mary: Yeah lor.. Sam has been watching a lot of Avatar with Sean, especially since he can get all 3 seasons of Avatar online!

HPling: Yeah...Most of the time, you just want to relax and say "Go be a good boy, watch your TV quietly" .. ha ha =P

John Wee said...

At least Avatar's a better show than south Park. :)