Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sean is 3 years old.

Dear Sean,

Mummy is so happy to see grow so much within this past year. You've become a happy person who likes to joke and tease mummy and daddy. You are also a strong willed person who has definite views about certain things, for example, you insist that the Rainbow song should go

Red and yellow and green and pink....
When it should go Red and yellow and pink and green.

It takes quite a lot to get you to change your mind, but being a good boy, you decide to give in and accept our version, except that you'll give a long sigh and say, ok mummy or ok, daddy...

The last week or so, you seem to have grown up a lot. There has been a lot of sighing whenever we tell you NOT to do something. I hear a lot of '(sigh) ok, mummy', which I find very funny because you sound so old, he he he.... =D

But you are mostly a happy child who loves to joke. You find it funny when you make the figurines walk on their heads. You love to get on my knees and fly about. You love going to McDonald or KFC. Today, you were playing with Mickey and Minney, pretending that they are buying fries and hamburger at McDonald.

You like playing with Transformer, and you are currently crazy about Animal Mechanicals. You can watch the same 4 episodes that we found on YouTube over and over again for hours. (shake head)

This past month, your computer skill has improved tremendously. From not being able to handle the mouse, you are getting to be rather dexterous with the mouse, and are now able to navigate and play on the pbskids website or YouTube quite well.

Mummy is not always there to see you play computer because you usually play computer with daddy when mummy is working, but I am impressed to see you play the games so well.

Somehow ever since you are aware that you are 3 years old, no longer 2 years old, you've suddenly become more grown up. Don't grow up too fast, Sean. Live life to the fullest my son, and always ask God to protect and bless you in Jesus name, Amen.

We love you very much,
Mummy and Daddy.
xxx








The making of the birthday cake

The last few days we've been hyping Sean about his birthday and get him to sing birthday song. I asked him what cake he wanted to have. I was planning to make him a spiderman cake which is a simple design. But since his craze with Animal Mechanicals started, he was not interested in any other characters.

At first he was crazy about The Mighty Sasquatch. Ok, Sasquatch is not too difficult to draw. But last night, he was quite definite that he wanted a T-Rex cake. There are not many Animal Mechanicals pictures online. So I just Googled and found 2 possible drawings. My drawing wasn't very good, but that's all I had. =P

This is my first birthday cake and I don't really have equipment, except for an egg whisk and some baking paper. Yesterday, I had a really good workout on my right arm, first, creaming the butter and sugar for the cake, then creaming the cream cheese and icing sugar for the icing.

There were a few problems. First, the pyrex container I used for the cake was slightly too big for the oven, and thus had to be put in diagonally, which made the cake uneven. A lot of cake was wasted to get an even rectangular cake.

Sean helped with the sifting icing sugar and whisking the butter, but I didn't really let him help much this time round. While icing the cake, I kept licking my fingers when the cream cheese icing leaked and dribbled from the paper cone. By the time, I decorated the cake, I was rather sugared out.

The birthday

Sean was so excited about his 'Rex cake' and wanted to eat it early in the morning, but I kept telling him to wait for evening when Ama comes home. He loved the marshmallows on the cake but didn't eat the cake. Seriously, no one at home like to eat cake, not even Sean. Except me and the maid. So it's a good thing, the cake is small.

Daddy cooked meatballs, spaghetti and tomato sauce, and french fries. He ate french fries, meatball without the sauce and marshmallows. *You need to eat more, Sean!*

By the time evening came, he was more subdued, and when I asked him much later, he said he was sad that his friends, Kai and Eason, were not there. I guess he thought he was going to have a big birthday party. Actually, I don't know what he thought, but maybe that's what he thought. I hope he enjoys the birthday at playgroup tomorrow.

Happy Birthday Sean!