Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The aftermath of being robbed

The act of crime was done within seconds.

I was sitting in my locked car waiting for the gate of my student's house to be open. As it was opening, there was an explosion of glass on the passenger glass. I screamed. Turned my head to the left and saw a hand lifting my handbag out of the car. The person went out of my vision and immediately ran off with his accomplice on their motorbike (which I didn't see but the maid did). I drove into the house. The gate was closed, and I went in to borrow a phone to call Sam.


The ordeal started after that.

First, I had to cancel my handphone, bank card and credit card.

The police report took 3 hours and we had to go to 3 police stations. We went to the one nearest our house first and had to sit through the excruciating slowness of the police officer typing the report into the computer with 2 fingers. We actually did our own report and printed it for the Police, but they needed to type it into their system. When he pressed enter, the whole report disappeared. He retyped it 3 times, and it disappeared 3 times!

So we went to another police station. The 4th entry also disappeared! Luckily the 5th time was successful. Then we had to wait for them to get a reply from whoever it was. We were then told to go to another police station to see an inspector. Luckily, that was the end of the reporting line.

I wasn't sure what I could tell them that wasn't already in the report. Basically, I didn't see the perpetrator. So I knew that it was futile since I couldn't give any descriptions. But it took 3 hours anyway.

Next, I had to replace my hand phone, new bank card and get new SIM card, which didn't activate, and therefore I had to go to Maxis again. It's a good thing, the people at Maxis are efficient. But Sam wanted to register with Maxis for land line and internet. So this week we’ve been to Maxis 4 times!

I still haven't had the time to report to the Embassy about the loss of my I/C and driving license. The car can't be used too because we need to order a new window. Unfortunately, our car being an old Opel, spare parts are hard to find.

Of course, with no license, I am practically legless. I'm going to have to get a Malaysian driving license since I won't be able to replace my Indonesian one any time soon. And that's going to be another ordeal. *Sigh*

Sam told me I have to sit through a 5 hour instructional video. Something about the danger of driving. I'm not looking forward to that. And then of course, go through driving lessons, which I don't think I really need, but have to do anyway.

I'm also going to have to replace a library book that was in my bag. I'm not looking forward to report it to Maria, the librarian. She can be quite sharp. *Shrudder* Especially since the book is an old edition. I wonder if it's still being sold in the bookshop. It's the first book of a series. So it's quite important to get it replaced. And I'm rather upset that I didn't get to finish reading it too!

If sitting in a locked car while entering a house compound is no longer safe, I wonder if any single woman driver is safe from these criminals. This definitely hasn't been a good week.

7 comments:

LittleLamb said...

OMG...............
The robbers actually broke ur car window... They are very fierce or desperate ...
sigh sigh
Thank God all is safe. Just the hassle of getting the documents done...

Mamalina said...

Yeah, I'm still irritated about it but life goes on.

michelle@mybabybay said...

This is scarry...hope you are alright now.

You can actually install a type of car tint that makes the car windows unbreakable!

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

Oh dear sorry to hear about this!! It must be soooo traumatic. This happened to too many people that I know. For that reason, I actually keep all my belongings in my boot! Not even the back seat.

Jessica said...

Let's put things in perspective:
1. It's a good that you're safe. That's all that matters.
2. Everything can be replaced it's just time and money.

Maybe you should put things in your boot in the future. Also, be more aware. I'm sure those guys were following you for some time.

Love
Jess

Mamalina said...

PL: I talked to a friend about putting things into the boot. She said her boot was robbed! But maybe the perpetrator saw her putting her handbag into the boot when she went jogging.

Jess: Yup. Which is why I didn't comment too much about the actual act of crime itself. My main focus was just to get away from them. I didn't think I would get back my things anyway. But getting things back is a pain in the ass.

I still haven't had time to do my license since I have no maid, hence a lot of things to do on top of the things I usually do.

I think these guys are professional snatchers. They probably make decision split second. They see a lone woman, and BAM!

I've been hearing of more and more of this. Before this, I heard moremore of snatch theft because the woman was outside, NOT in a locked car.

Jacss said...

hi marlina...jac here, it was a short encounter with u last saturday. and before i can learn more abt you...so sorry to have read this!!
hope things have gotten back on track & u felt better. yes we hv to be cautious & alert with our surrounding all d time. take care..

btw, one of my boy is also Sean... didn't know u r an indonesian, hehe
u certainly don't look like one :D