Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sean @ Play - Puzzle

Sometimes I'm at loss on how to occupy Sean's time without the TV. So whenever I'm not working or busy, I try to get Sean away from the TV and play with him.


I've been looking for a puzzle set that is within Sean's capabilities, i.e. one without difficult shapes but interesting enough to attract his attention. We found a really cute Safari puzzle set for 2 years+. The shape of each piece is exactly the same. The puzzle is about recognizing patterns and colours.

On the first day, he couldn't really do the puzzle. I'd show him where each piece goes. Over the next few days, he managed to do the puzzle all by himself! Although he still gets frustrated when he can't fit the puzzle in properly. Sometimes he finds it difficult to turn the piece to fit the space. Other times, he does it effortlessly.

Once I knew he could recognize the patterns, I would mix all the pieces up and put them in incorrect spots to make it more interesting for him. Every time he put in a correct piece, he would clap and expect us to clap with him. he he he.

Recently, he only cares about getting the purple Hippo and Orange Tiger correct. He really can't be bothered about the rest, but gets really irritated when I take the Hippo piece out. Hippo is the only animal that has to be correct. If he sees that an incorrect piece in in Hippo's place, he'll correct it immediately. Sometimes he corrects the Tiger, sometimes he doesn't.

So to make him do the whole puzzle, I took all the pieces out and hid the Hippo piece. Then I encouraged him to do the whole set. Only when he finished the rest, I'd bring the Hippo piece out for him to complete the whole puzzle!

Ha ha ha..I'm one devious mummy =P

2 comments:

jazzmint said...

bravo bravo...at least he tries. Mine totally doesn't like puzzles at all :|

Mamalina said...

Different toddler different toys, yeah? I found out that they have a car puzzle too.. maybe Vyktore will do the Car puzzle instead?

I have to look for it too.. I'm sure Sean would love it!