Thursday, May 1, 2008

Sean @ Play - Scribble & Paste

I've been encouraging Sean to draw but he hasn't been that interested. He does a few scribble here and there but isn't excited by it. I guess he still finds it hard because he is not holding the crayons correctly and my attempts at teaching him the correct way to hold a crayon has not gone well at all. He had trouble holding the long crayons. So I broke them in half. At least he finds it easier to hold the crayons now.

I don't want him to draw on the wall so I redecorated two of the sticker boards on the wardrobe door. I wanted them in bold colors so they catch his attention. I'm hoping that this will prevent him from decorating other parts of the room. So far it has worked. All I do is tape a piece of A4 paper on it so that it can be replaced whenever it's too scribbled up ...or torn out!

I'm not expecting him to be able to draw a circle or a square..nothing that advance. All I want is for him take a piece of crayon and scribble away happily for 5 minutes. On a piece of paper of course, not on the wall, table or floor.. ha ha ha


This is Sean scribbling on the old sticker board. Sometimes he scribbles vigorously, sometimes he makes lazy strokes. I carry a small booklet and crayons in my bag. Just in case. He does a quick scribble on a page, then turn another page and does another scribble. That sums up his attempts at drawing. When he's in the mood for more, he turns pages and makes a mark on all of them.

He is still into stickers. Unfortunately, Sean has a habit of putting the stickers into his mouth. So Sam and I are deciding to limit his stickers for now.

2 comments:

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

you're so hardworking Mar! I just bought a book of artblock and let him scribble on it!

Mamalina said...

I tried that, but he's really not into scribbling. The scribbling boards are not very hard to make. Just some colored papers and stickers. I'm hoping it'll entice him to scribble more.