Sunday, May 11, 2008

2 Weddings and a Grumpy Toddler


It didn't start well. I was lacking sleep from the night before because Sean tossed and turned the whole night on me. Sean has a cough and has not had enough sleep for the last 2 days, which makes him extra clingy and grumpy.

Two of our friends happen to have their weddings on the same evening. Since one is Sam's BJJ student and the other his high school mate,we had to go for both. It would have been ideal to be able to leave Sean home for the weddings. Unfortunately, my in laws don't seem to know how to handle Sean in the evening for more than 2 hours. We know that we can't go home early since we had to attend both weddings, so Sean came along.

We went to Albert & Serina's wedding early because we didn't want to be caught in the KL jam. Sean is an active boy and need to be able to run around to expand his energy. Unfortunately, The Banker's club, where they have their wedding dinner, do not usually allow children in. Hence, it wasn't a child friendly place. He kept running towards the table that held the wine glasses! So we had to carry him most of the time. We waited one and a half hour before the dinner start. So by the time we got to our seats, he was rather grumpy. But he played quietly with his Cars magnetic book for a while until I notice a smell. Okaaayyy... he poop. So off I went to the toilet to change him.

This is when things started going really wrong. I took his pants off. There was no changing table in such a place obviously. But I was glad that he was occupied with playing with the wet tissue packet while I wiped him and put on a new diaper. Just when I was about to put on his pants, I noticed that his poop had leaked inside his pants, and it wasn't just a little patch. I hadn't brought an extra pair of pants.... Aarrrgggghhh!!!!!

I really should have. When I was getting the bag ready, I almost brought an extra pair along, but my bag was already full. Since this has never happened before, I thought it was unnecessary. But OH YEAH...it had to happen when we have to attend 2 weddings!

So I tried my best to clean the pants with the wet wipes. While I was doing that, Sean was happily pulling at the toilet roll. The toilet was littered with toilet paper. Then he touched his soiled diaper and touched his poop. Aaarrrrgghhh!!!!

You know, when these things have to happen, they seem to happen at the worst time. Anyway, I managed to get him cleaned up and washed my hands thoroughly.

But when we got back to our seat, he refused to get into his chair. He just turned into total grumpiness. He wanted out of the place. Nothing could appease him. He was unhappily wriggling in my arms and my dress was falling off. Sigh.... It was such a nice wedding and we would have thoroughly enjoyed it at any other time. After Sam had given his speech, we took photos with the bride and groom and our friends. And then we took off.

But not yet.... the night hasn't ended yet.

We had to brave the KL jam to go to Eastin Hotel for KC & Li Lian's wedding. We couldn't go home to change his pants because we were already very late. Sean's pants smelled distinctly of poop. I was already dreading it. But despite the fact that we had no baby chair for almost 1/2 hour, the karaokes music was deafening and the rather drunk singer/MC talking nonsense, Sean enjoyed himself! He ate some mushrooms and noodles and he danced to YMCA. We quite enjoyed ourselves too. I had to shout to be able to hold a conversation with Karen, but I was just happy that Sean was happy. But of course, it didn't last long. Being an active boy, he wanted out of his high chair and started running around. So it was time to go home.

Oh... Home Sweet Home....

What a relief to get him out of his smelly pants, have a warm bath and wash my hair of the smell of smoke. I am still dreading the fact that he touched his poop. Although I cleaned him as well as I could, what if it wasn't cleaned enough and he ingest harmful bacteria? Fingers crossed. I hope no harmful bacteria is attacking my baby now.

2 comments:

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

Doesn't sound fun at all! We've only brought him for a wedding once and swore we'll never do it ever again!!!

Mamalina said...

I wished I could have left him at home, but Sam doesn't think his parents can handle Sean for so many hours.Anyway, Sam's mum says she can't handle Sean by herself. Sam's dad was away that day.