Sunday, May 25, 2008

The price of a balloon

Last weekend, we parked in front of a party shop that sells balloons. Sean immediately wanted to enter the shop. When we pulled him away he cried unhappily. When we got back to the car, we had to go through another crying spells. Sam hates rubber balloon, but since they sell foil balloons, he relented and said, let's go in.

When I saw the prices, I blanched.... the foil balloons are so expensive! The cheapest and plainest balloon is RM12 each! But we saw a Lightning McQueen & Mater balloon, so I took out my wallet and paid up, while wincing at the cost of the balloon. I was RM 18 poorer..sigh

But when they filled the balloon with helium and passed it to Sean, his face lighted up with such joy that whatever reservation I had about the balloon disappeared.

Price of balloon = RM 18
Price of joy = priceless!

As a parent, each smile and joyful expression of your child is so priceless, that I felt I've been given a gift instead. =D

4 comments:

Jem said...

awww, this is such a sweet post! I can't believe the cost of those balloons aswell! astronomical! But you guys have a great attitude to life in that you can't put a price on what makes your baby smile! (ok....so we have to set limits...no crystal bottles no matter how shiny!)
but seriously, when I read your blog it makes me wanna have my own bub!
Love to you *hugs* xx

jazzmint said...

18 bucks...expensive!!! but nvm lah, once a blue moon :)

Mamalina said...

Ha ha.. this is going to be his ONLY balloon for a very long time. =P It's reusable so it should last quite a long time.

I saw another balloon costing Rm45! It's exorbitant!

Jem: When you're done with competitive lifestyle, we'll be looking forward to see your own babe =D

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

yes i splurge on BRyan too....what do...only child. Poor boy, that's all going to change soon!!!