Thursday, September 18, 2008

24 months update

This is rather late, but I thought I should just note these thoughts down before I forget about them.

Approximately,
Height: 89-90cm
Weight: 14.3kg

Speech
I would say that there has been many temper tantrums recently. It's probably because his speech is still very limited. Compared to his peers, he's rather slow, but I'm told that many boys come to speech at around 2 1/2 years old. Some of his new words that I remember: dark, duck, star, shoe, hot, knock. If you notice, some actually sounds alike.. ha ha ha...

Most of the time, he just says NO!
This morning while I was waking him up.
I said " Wake up, Sean. We're going to playgroup today."
Sean goes, " Noooooo!", turns and went back to sleep.

On days he has nowhere to go, he wakes up early on his own. On days he has to wake up early, it's so hard to wake him up! *roll eyes*

Routines
He's starting to have his own routines.
When he wakes up, I'll bring him down to watch TV and have his breakfast.
After that, we'll play in the garden. Sometimes he just wants to watch more TV, so I let him and i read my book.

I've been letting him play with the rabbits recently. He enjoys going into the rabbit cage and gets really excited when I run around trying to catch a rabbit. I put the rabbit into the inflatable pool which has now become the rabbit petting area. But he still doesn't know how to pet them properly. He just likes looking at them. After enough playing, then he has his bath.

On good nights, we'll play until he says an emphatic "Ne!", which means he wants to breast feed. He'll pull me to bed and sits on my side of the bed. I'll ask him, "Do you want to read books?", then he'll say "Boook!" Then he'll breastfeed while I read him books, until he fall asleep.

Sometimes it's really cute to see him climb the bed on his own, sit and pull the blanket to cover his legs and wait for me to get on the bed. So Cuuutteee! =D

On bad nights, there'll be lots of temper tantrums, until I say, "Enough!", off all the lights, carry him struggling and screaming to bed, snuggle into the bed under the blanket, breastfeed and stay still for a very long time, until he calms down and goes to sleep.

New playgroup try-out
On Monday, we went to try out a new playgroup at Gospel Hall. It's more structured and each mum is required to come along. The first half hour is free play following the Montessori principles. There are lots of puzzles and toys on the shelves. Each toy has a sticker label which is the same as the sticker on the shelf the toy is on. Each child is meant to learn to put back the toys to its original place after they play. Of course Sean doesn't know how to do it yet, but I think it's a great way to teach about putting things back to its place.

Then they had half hour of singing, a short snack time, another half hour play outside on the big toys while the mummies drink coffee and chat, and lastly, a short story/teaching time.

I like the system, but Sean wasn't co-operating. He had temper tantrums after temper tantrums. Just as he was starting to get into the activities, it was time to start another one. So he got frustrated. When he wasn't crying to get his way, he wanted the toys the teachers were using as examples, or he'll run round and round within the circle of kids and mummies. He's not shy about going to the front and taking toys and behaving as if it was his right! It was so embarrassing, but all the other mums were nice about it, except for one grandmother who told me to watch my son because he was sneaking behind the teacher to take the fire engine. Oooppss... =P

I guess Sean looks big for his age and people expect him to behave better. The only time, he wasn't making a fuss was during snack time when there was a little girl who was having a bigger temper tantrum than him. He looked at her crying and behaved himself and ate his snack quietly. ha ha ha.... =D

We couldn't get a place because the playgroup only accepts a certain number of people, but I was told that we should be able to get a space in January. I'm looking forward to more activities with Sean. It should be quite fun. =D

Whatever type of day it is, I love being a mum. I feel so blessed that I can hug and kiss my little darling as many times and anytime I want to. It's really the most satisfying feeling. =D

3 comments:

jazzmint said...

happy 2nd bday Sean!!! You and Vyktore same gang, he still hasn't talk much apart from the same few words u can speak :)

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

You're one of the most engaging mum I know......always on the look-out for activities for Sean. :):)

Mamalina said...

Paik Ling: It's because I want Sean to be able to play with other kids. Currently, I'm his playmate.. which can be exhausting at time. =P