Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I think he's weaned off!

Since I wrote about weaning Sean off slowly by getting him to drink a bottle of milk, he's refused to drink any milk. On a rare occasion I managed to get him to drink a small bottle of flavored milk but it's with much difficulty. So I changed tactic and told him he has to drink a small bottle of water before having his nen-nen at night.

In the morning when he normally wakes up and nen-nen, I asked him if he was hungry, and if he wanted to eat something. He doesn't really eat much but I try to get him to eat something to replace the usual morning breastmilk. Once we went to playgroup without his morning nen-nen, he was so hungry, and yet refused to eat any of the food I had with me. Sometimes he can be so stubborn!

The afternoon nap was the easiest to let go because I taught almost everyday last week. My student had her exams and we rearranged tuition dates. So since I wasn't at home, it was quite easy. But during the weekend, I gave in. I missed our nen-nen time too, so I wasn't very strict about it.

After I firmed my decision about weaning him off seriously, I consciously say No to him at almost every opportunity. The conversation usually goes like this:

Sean: Nen-nen?
Me: No. Do you want some milk?
Sean: No
Me: Water?
Sean: Water

At first, after his water, I would breastfed him until he slept. Later on, I told him, no more nen-nen, Let's hug instead. I'll read books to him while he nurses a bottle of water, which he doesn't really drink. He just needs it in his mouth. And then we hug and go to sleep.

Sean hasn't breastfed for 2 whole days now. I could have done it sooner but I felt rather sad too of having to end this part of our relationship. So I gave in once or twice. As much as I enjoy breastfeedng Sean and as much as he enjoys it, I believe it's time to move on. I keep telling him that he's now a big boy now, no more a baby. Then the little jokster will do a pretend baby cry 'Wa wa wa wa'.... =D

Last night I slept earlier, and Sean woke Sam up several time with his acrobatic sleeping position. He he he.. Now Sam nows what I go through every night when Sean crawls all over me. In the morning, Sean was sleeping with Sam and they made a very cute picture together.

Tonight, Sean didn't even ask for nen-nen. After bedtime reading with his bottle of water, he asked for a hug, i.e. he wants to be hugged to sleep, and then slept.

2 comments:

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

well done!!!! So time to work on #2!

Mamalina said...

LOL!.... You are not the first person who said that ha ha ha...

I want to go on a nice holiday first before having no 2! =P ha ha ha