Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The sense of self

I almost forgot to blog about this. It came so naturally that I forgot to note the first day he said his name. I think it was around the beginning of April. So it's been almost a month that Sean has begun to call himself Sean.

I remember a funny incident just a while back when he couldn't say his name still. He knocked on Akong-Ama's room door. "knock knock" "Who's there?" And the he pointed to himself while waiting in front of the locked door. Now that he knows how to say his own name, that scene will never happen again. That was a really cute memory.

Sean is quite a joker sometimes.
I ask " What's your name?"
Sean: Sean
Me: Sean Wee
Sean : Sean Wee ue ue ue ue

and he does it with a devilish twinkle in his eyes. His sense of humour is coming out more often now.

I sometimes teach him to say his full name: Sean Gabriel Wee. He can go "Sean riel Wee" It's probably a bit of a mouthful for a boy who has just started to speak in 2-3 syllables. I'll wait. I'm happy enough for him to identify himself as 'Sean Wee' at the moment.

No comments: