Thursday, July 16, 2009

He can spell his name!

Yes.. he can spell his name. This is what happened:

Sean was playing around with a crayon and pretending to write on a box. It was a red crayon on a red box. So when he showed it to me, I couldn't see anything.

me: What did you write?
Sean : Sean Wee
me: hhmm..... I can't see it. How do you spell your name? (I wasn't expecting anything, just teasing him.)
Sean: S.....e.....a....n.....W.....e.....e... Sean Wee!
me: Wow! That's very good!

He already knows how to recognize his name but I was still quite excited to hear him spelling his name. =D

He hasn't written it down yet because his writing skill is still very poor. When I do let him play with paints, he loves to write the letter A. Unfortunately he's stuck with the letter A most of the time and usually refusing to write any other letter.

Last week, though, after writing many letter As, he painted a few other letters.

He always starts his letter A with a house like A, and as big as the paper. If the paper is A4, the letter A is A4 sized.

If the paper is A3, then the letter is A3 sized. Then as he paints more ( one letter per page! It's a good thing I still have many scrap papers), his letter A improves. But every time he paints, the A always look like a block first before it smoothened.

I'm just adding these letter "A"s just because I thought they look particularly colorful. This was done on his own at play center last Thursday. Each of these are A3 size.

His letter B also started very craggy but after several tries, looked more and more like a B. His letter C, D, and H are okay but they all are as big as an A4 paper.

At the moment, it's not possible to get him to write a whole word. I found John's white board. It's A0 size. But when Sean writes the letter A, it's as big as the whole board!

His other letters are still terrible. The squiggly blue and yellow is his "I". His "G" and "L" and "5" are backwards.

His letter "K" is unrecognizable. The only reason I know it's a "K" is because I was there, I asked him immediately what it was and I painted the letters straightaway so I won't forget.

5 comments:

michelle@mybabybay said...

Short name is easier to remember. That's is one reason why I pick short names for my children.

jazzmint said...

clever boy :)

Mamalina said...

Yeah.... I just showed him his first name and last name, which are short names. I'll probably tell him about his middle name when he's a bit older.

HDB TyeTye said...

Sean is really a Big Boy now :) you can try sandpaper letters to help him with writing too (and yes, short and sweet names helps with writing...kekek)

Mamalina said...

This is just the beginning of his interest. I don't want to push him too much.

But where can I get those sand letters? I don't think I've ever seen those sold anywhere here.