Monday, July 27, 2009

Montessori Day

On Saturday, after being cooped up in the room half the afternoon while I surfed the Net and he played with his Transformer cards, Sean was jumping around like a monkey, impatient to do something fun. I was checking out other people's blogs, as well as reading attempts by blogger mummies who are doing Montessori materials with their children. So I thought... Let's do it! Let's do some Montessori activities.


We got a packet of mustard seeds out from the fridge and with a toy sand sifter, some beans that we use to play cooking, a tray and a plastic sushi container and a small broom and pan, we were set to do some 'sand' shifting and doodling. I set the table at the veranda, knowing that it was going to be a messy affair.

But I had a lot of fun. I doodled pictures, such as apple, orange, watermelon, bee, car, person, simple drawings, and asked him what they were, and he got them correct most of the time. He drew his letter 'A' as usual, and then out of the blue, he doodled a pear. We haven't even been eating pears nor talked about pears for a long time, which was why it surprised me. And he did a mini banana.


He had a lot of fun sifting the kidney beans, green beans and mustard seeds with the toy shifter. We put some green beans in the bottom of a plastic bottle on cotton wool the day before. It had already grown some roots and the little leaves were peeking through from the leaves. Today the seeds are already tall seedlings. I haven't planted seeds like this for a long time, it's so fun! =D

Later that evening, I got out some beads that I had and made it into a stringing toy with a thin wire. At school, he's never been interested in stringing things, but maybe the pink beads are especially attractive.








That was quite a fun-filled half day, the only thing I'll add is that he's a terrible sweeper. His sweeping skill is still non-existent. Most of the mustard seeds fell to the floor, so I spent quite a bit of time sweeping them up.

5 comments:

michelle@mybabybay said...

This is a good idea. Cheaper than a doodle board.

Mamalina said...

Yup. You are supposed to use fine sand but I didn't have any. Sand or powder is better because if they get wet, you just need to dry it. With seeds, when they get wet, you have to throw away.

HDB TyeTye said...

whats mustard seeds ? :p
its black and fine enough to be sifted ??

Mamalina said...

I think it's mustard seeds, it's something else in Malay but it was fine enough to be sifted. It just so happened I found it in the fridge. =P

But actually you can just use anything fine. You can buy fine art and craft powder or even use flour.

rene said...

Hey Marlina,

Reading your blog from link on Jess's blog.

Fun to read about what you're doing with Sean. Guess that what I can look forward to in a couple of years! =)

Serene