Friday, February 22, 2008

Milk ....milk....milk....

So.... I'm weaning.

What I really want is for Sean to accept other types of milk so that when he doesn't like his food, he has milk (not BM) to fill him up, as well as something to bring along when we go out, just in case he's hungry. And of course gradually wean himself off the breast completely.

I have to admit that I'm starting the weaning process rather late. It would probably be easier if I had started when Sean was a year old. Now he's cleverer. He knows the difference and will protest about it. Seriously.... I have no problem having a battle of will with him. But that will make a very unhappy baby as well as an unhappy household. Everyone (and I don't just mean Sean) has become too dependent on the power of the breasts!

I've tried several types of formula and have decided not to buy anymore. Sean has never finished a can of formula in his life, even when he was being supplemented last year. I've had to throw half cans away because they've been opened way too long.

We tried soya milk and cow's milk as well (chocolate, strawberry & plain (fresh and pasteurised)) but he has been difficult. We can coax him when he's really hungry or thirsty, but he takes 1.5 oz every other day. That's really too little for a growing toddler. How I wish he can drink an 8oz bottle of milk at once, but even when he accepted EBM in a bottle, his max was 4-5 oz. But.. he can finish a cup of yogurt, so at least that can fill him up..... hopefully.

It just occurred to me last night that the reason this is so difficult is because he's still getting his breast milk several times a night. And he knows when he insist on nen-nen, he'll get it. So this is the real problem. I don't think it'll be possible to cut the breast of completely at the moment. Everyone isn't ready for it.

But there's a ray of hope yesterday. I managed to trick him he he he =P

I tried giving him Dutch Lady chocolate milk again yesterday afternoon. The moment he saw me put the straw in the box, he ran away to his Ah Ma (who happens to be at home), asked her to carry him and protested when I came closer with the milk. So OK... I didn't want to push it.

Later at night as we went up to the room, I carried the box of milk up. The moment he saw it, he protested. I said to him " It's not for you... it's for mummy." So in the room, while he was playing in his cardboard house, I sipped the chocolate milk and "Mmmm....yummy, do you want some?" So he tried a sip, then went back playing. I played with him and gave him a few more sips.

When he became restless, we watched Nemo. When he was engrossed in the movie, I put the straw in his mouth and let him drink. So he drank! There wasn't much left because I drank most of it while trying to show him how nice the milk was. Ha ha ha... but at least I have a trick up my sleeve!

4 comments:

jazzmint said...

bravo bravo.way to go ;) all the best to the weaning

Mamalina said...

Thanks Thanks =D

He's not easily fooled though... so I think it's going to take a long time.

Peridot&Sapphire said...

wah! throw away all the formula milk? We never throw... some we gave to my maid to drink with her kopi... some my DH take and some I take too... hahaha! Especially Pediasure is so yummy!

Mamalina said...

Actually never thought of giving the maid =P. But over here they drink their kopi with condensed milk. Anyway, the milk lasted for months before thrown away. Later on, the milk powder in one of the can turned hard. So now, don't want to buy anymore.