Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Trip to Jakarta - May 09

We just came back from Jakarta on Monday. Boy... I was totally exhausted. When we arrived home I told the maid to wash Sean up because he pooped and just crashed on to my bed. I was so glad to drop Sean off at school on Tuesday and this morning. At least I could catch up on my rest. It's already Wednesday and my body is still aching.

We were there for my cousin's wedding, so we got to meet many relatives at the wedding, which was great because otherwise I wouldn't know when I would get to meet up with them. Although the trip was great for me because I get to catch up with family, it was an exhausting trip for all of us.

First, while we were there, his toilet routine was totally gone. He refused to pee or poo on the potty and wanted to wear his diaper all the time. And rather than pooping at home before we leave the house, he pooped outside so I was always looking for the toilet to wash him up. On the first day we were out, he pooped twice within an hour, so we had to cut short our outing since I only brought one with me. I know I should have brought more but he rarely poops outside. I guess all bets off when it's a holiday, everything that don't usually happen, happened!

Second, I totally forgot to be careful with Sean's food and drink. On the 3rd day, he got diarrhea and a very bad rash which was painful to the touch. Since Sean has not had diaper rash since he was a small baby, I didn't bring any cream. So we tried all sorts of cream to ease the pain. The next morning we bought some diaper cream but it was expensive, about 1.5 times the price for half the size!

Next, I don't know why but Sean was double hyper when in Jakarta. He just couldn't keep still and was like an Energizer bunny the whole trip. I guess he was excited to have older boy cousins to play with. He ran around like crazy. I guess a small active boy couldn't be counted to sit still for the entire church ceremony so after bribing him with gummy bears, I decided to just sit right at the back of the church so we don't disturb the ceremony.

The wedding dinner was packed as Jakarta's weddings usually do. It's a good thing we got to eat before the dinner start in the family area, because we couldn't eat during the cocktail style dinner. We spent most of our time watching him so he doesn't get lost.

I still enjoyed the trip. I got to catch up with my family and friends, Eny, Yulius, Paula. I got to meet relatives who live elsewhere whom I probably will not get to meet unless there's a wedding or a special occasion. And my mum and I managed to do some shopping too =D.

Lesson learnt: Bring steroid cream when on a trip. It's probably better to have a complete first aid kid. Our bags were packed so I didn't bring a first aid kit but next time I really should bring it along, even when just going to Jakarta.

Also bring extra extra diapers even if Sean is already toilet trained. And bring extra clothes. Gosh you really cannot travel light when you are travelling with a child.

I thought I already brought extra diapers and clothes but we were still short. I had to tell the maid to wash our clothes more than once a day so we have enough clothes. And I got Sean to sleep without diapers towards the end. He wet the bed once, but luckily we had an extra mattress.

Coming home is so good. Sean stopped being such an Energizer bunny. He missed his toys and was really glad to come home to them. So he's been behaving very well since coming home.

4 comments:

jazzmint said...

wow u went there just with him and u...I guess he's enjoying himself cause so many ppl hehehe

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

You didn't bring enuf diapers but you have extra mattressed??? LOL Welcome back :)

Mamalina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mamalina said...

No ..went with hubby, but hubby gets stressed when Sean is in his energizer mode.

Well, my parents had extra mattress so it was ok that Sean wet one ha ha