Thursday, October 8, 2009

In search for a kindergarten - part 2

New info:

I've just heard from a friend whose son is in Peter and Jane that they have changed the school hours from 3 to 4 hours, which means the school fees have increased substantially!

She was complaining that she calculated that the snack costs her RM10 each day, and her son is only getting biscuits and milo. She also doesn't like the teacher and her son's class is next to the toilet. Despite asking for class change, she was told that there was no space. I do feel that it's unfair because I feel that the Mutiara Damansara P&J has excess space!

So I'm really glad that we decided not to send Sean to P&J.

We really like Tadika Diyana. Sean liked it immediately and there was no fuss at all when h started school. His teachers speaks both English and Mandarin well. She is also very nice. Despite his class being next to the toilet also, it's not a problem because it's a closed class and air-conditioned. He is very comfortable in his school and looks forward to going to school.

So if anyone read this entry about kindergarten. My choices will be:

1. Tadika Diyana
2. Fairfield (for English session)
3. Peter and Jane (but the school fees is even higher than before!)

The kindergarten that I thought I was not even going to take a look at (because of the expense) turn out to be the one that I really like, i.e. Peter and Jane. Unfortunately, their morning session is already full. So next week, we'll go take a look at the Peter and Jane in Mutiara Damansara.

Our current possible choices are:

1. Peter and Jane. They are full for morning classes in Taman Sea, only afternoon classes are available.

2. Fairfield. My only concern is that there'll be only 1 class of 4 years old next year. That may be too few possible friends for Sean.

3. Juara Cerdik. Because it's nearby and the fees are affordable. But Sean may not like it because of the drastic change from being able to play a lot to having to sit and study so much. So I forsee a lot of "I don't want to go to school, Mummy" in the first few months.


My review of the kindergartens, if anyone is interested :P
These are in a sort of order of rank.

1. Tadika Diyana - classroom concept

I went for a 2nd look with Sam. This time our impression is much better. The children were quite lively today, which gives us the same impression as the other schools above.
Guided by Montessori approach for Nursery but little of it is practiced. More emphasis on academics for K1 and K2. Teacher student ratio = 2:20 for nursery

Pros: A beautiful school structure. Classrooms are quite spacious. Has many facilities. Fees average. It has English and Mandarin stream, which makes it flexible for people like us who have not decided where we will be sending Sean for Primary school.

Cons: Some of the teachers and students looked rather bored. Classroom arrangement more suited to be a Primary school. It would be great if several classes of children can play together during playtime, but despite the big school compound, it's play area is small. I checked out the play area again. It's much bigger than Peter and Jane's play area. And they have a big hall where they do their PE.

1. Peter and Jane - Open concept
Nursery (4 yrs old) - Montessori approach. Lots of learning through hands and play. Emphasis on motor skills, creativity, music and learning through activities. Teacher student ratio = 1:14 for nursery.
K1 and K2 (5 & 6 yrs old) - Gradual introduction of more academics, maths, reading, writing and communication. K2 is divided into English and Mandarin sections.

Pros: Montessori approach. Friendly and warm teachers who speak well. Clean, bright and cheerful. Teaching system is well thought out. Gradual learning of new languages. Children seem to enjoy themselves a lot and yet it's orderly.
Cons: Maybe a little noisy because of the open concept, but I think Sean may thrive in such an environment. Expensive.

2. Fairfield - Classroom concept
British system. Emphasis on reading, creative writing and communication. Teacher student ratio = 1:15

Pros: Older, more experienced teachers. A big grassy field where all the children play together during play period. I like the fact that they get to play together. The children are friendly and polite. Principal and main teacher are ex-Garden International.
Cons: Classrooms rather small. Quite expensive.

3. Nakorn Sari - Classroom concept
British system. Emphasis more on play. Great for children below 4 years old. Teacher student ratio = 2:15 (I think)

Pros: Very fun and has lots of activities. Teachers are cheerful and friendly.
Cons: Lack of order and discipline. Quite expensive.



5. Beaconhouse Gasing - classroom concept
Guided by Montessori approach for Nursery. More emphasis on academics for K1 and K2. Teacher student ratio = 1:15 for nursery

It's really average because it neither impresses us nor was there anything wrong with it.


Fungates open concept

It's marketed to be learning through play but I saw more studying than play. The high emphasis on academics can be a pro or con depending on parents' viewpoint. A lot of emphasis on workbook and practice. Exams and homework start from 4 years old. Seems to emphasis a lot on Mandarin lessons than any of the other lessons.

1. Juara Cerdik - Fungates
Pros: Teachers seem ok. Teacher student ratio = 1:18 for nursery. Fees are affordable. Good value for money. Nearby our house.
Cons: May not have enough play time. Lots of studying. I saw a 4 year old girl practicing chinese characters!

2. Madeline - Fungates
Pros: Cheap. Quite organized. They have 2 options at K2, English and Mandarin.
Cons: Teachers do not speak English well. Teacher student ratio = 1:25. Classrooms seem overcrowded.

3. Sri Nobel - Fungates
Pros: None I saw.
Cons: Strict lots of rules. The environment is cold and factory like. Lots of cons!!!! It's terrible!

28 comments:

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

Yes, Bryan is on waiting list for P&J :( They seemed to be hugely popular. Both my niece and nephew used to go there. Thanks for the reviews - saved me a massive amount of time!

Mamalina said...

PL: It's nice to have older siblings, so you can just ask them. We seem to have to do everything from scratch every time. But I'm glad we did this because at least we got to see what all the different systems are about.

michelle@mybabybay said...

Wow so many choices....hehehe.

Mamalina said...

michelle: Yeah, the many choices is giving me a headache. LOL =P

Rachael said...

Can I know the contact for fairfield?

LittleLamb said...

Have you tried Summer Academy?

Another kindy in PJ that is good is Tadika Chim


Rachel Toh

Mamalina said...

Rachael : Fairfield's contact. Mrs Matthew is the Principal. She used to be a teacher from Garden International. 03-79568018

Little Lamb: Thanks for the emails. I'm grateful that you shared your experience in chinese school.

We decided to skip Tadika Chim because it's traditional. I think Sean will find the total change in culture too much of a shock.

We decided of Diyana because we're hoping the culture change is more subtle.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes next year when he starts nursery.

moms tales said...

I was blog-hopping and thanks for the review. My girl will turn 3 next year and I'm starting my search for nurseries/kindies. I too am having a difficult time looking for a suitable kindy. It's very helpful

Mamalina said...

Hi Shireen,

You're welcome. What's most important is the child adapts and enjoys the kinddy. Most of the ones I went to are good, so any of them will be ok.

Unknown said...

Hi Mamalina,

It was very interesting what you did per school that you went. I also have a 2 year old boy who will be 3 next year. I am not from Malaysia so its kinda difficult to look for good schools. I was wondering if you can provide the address of 'fairfield'. thanks.

Mamalina said...

Hi R.A,

Fairfield
3, Jalan 5/37
Petaling Jaya 46000
ph: 03 79568018

Horlic said...

Wow, seem like you have spend lots time to do survey for your kid. Thanks for the details explanation and it useful indeed.

Papier Love said...

Hi, thanks for your comments. It's really helpful as I'm also looking for a kindy/playschool for my 3-yr old.

Unknown said...

Hi all mummies

Its wonderful to note how diligent parents are, shopping for kindergartens with so much knowledge under your belt.

We are Peter& Jane Group and we invite you to visit our facebook page.

Unknown said...

Tadika Chim is too traditional way of educating. Came across the incidents teacher throwing kid's exercise books to the floor due to those kids did not perform the school work properly. We are so upset to see this..

Turtly said...

Hi Patricia. Youre the founder of p&j right?
I send my son to p&j taman sea. He's still there K1. But next year im thinking of transfering him to p&j mutiara branch because its nearer to our house in kota damansara. How do i do that?

Turtly said...

Appreciate if you can reply soonest

Turtly said...

Appreciate if you can reply soonest

youle said...

Fairfield, KG2 and KG3 under Mrs. Menon and Ms. Sharon are fantastic.
You felt that the teachers care a lot for the students.
They don't push for off diapers.

Mrs. Kong, the principal loves the students.

I am not too sure about KG4 teachers.

Urban Smoothie Read said...

Hi Youle,

May I know are your kids in Fairfields? I would like to know more about the school.

youle said...

Hi Amanda,

My son is in KG 4 now with Ms. Lily and he is pretty good and i think my son really loves her.

Thanks,
youle

Urban Smoothie Read said...

Hi Youle,

Does KG4 means for 4yrs old? My child currently in Taska Sinaran Ceria which is behind Fairfield. I've been contemplating of switching her over when she's older. She will be 5 next year and I still have a younger boy. Hopefully i can place them in one school. May I know does Fairfield provide a well balance play and study for little boys? I'm worried my 3 yr old boy can't sit still in class.

youle said...

Dear Amanda,

Yes, KG4 is 4 years old class.
KG 3 is with Mrs. Menon and Ms. Sharon and they are quite balance. I dont think any 3 yearsold can sit still :) So dont worry.

I am not familiar with KG5 teacher in fairfield and i know KG6 is co-teaching by the headmistress herself and Ms. Radha.

Thanks,
youle

Urban Smoothie Read said...

Thanks for your feedback, youle. I guess i have to schedule another visit and make up my mind soon.

Tq.

Unknown said...

Dear Amanda,

I was wondering why would you consider transfer your kid from Taska Sinaran Ceria to Fairfield. I've a set of twins and am considering between Fairfield/ Taska Sinaran Ceria and Medeline and unable to make a decision as yet. Any opinions out there?

Urban Smoothie Read said...

Hi Soma,

When I visited the school around the area, I only shortlisted Taska Sinaran and Fairfield. I ended up sending my 3yr to Taska Sinaran cause I feel that their environment is more playful, cheerful and homely and might suit my young child better. At the same time, I was impressed with the older kids at Fairfield. They know how to greet random strangers visiting their school and they did creative writing as part of the school work.

Anyway, now my 2nd child is also turning 3 and I need to place both child in same school. After a long consideration with my husband, we decided to stick with Taska Sinaran. So far, I had nothing to complain about the school. The principal, teachers and helpers are really nice and caring and they are willing to chat with parents during drop offs and pick ups. They are often there at the gates in the morning receiving the kids with open arms. Sometimes when my girl was in a lousy mood, they will even carry her like a baby and I can see my girl is very close to them. So it makes me feel a bit sad if i were to take change her school just because I turn into a tiger mum worrying about her academic.

My girl is just 4. So I can't tell how good the school can prepare my girl for primary level yet. So far she never bring back any homework, which my husband was a little worry because he heard other kindy are giving out daily homework and spelling test. So it really does depends what a parent want for their kid.

Mrs Yip said...

hi..i am mrs yip here..intend to sent my 4 years girl to tadika. i had heard of tadika chim in damansara uptown. had anyone or kids been there and can i have the review?

many thks

Unknown said...

I regretted sending my girl to tadika juara cerdik to bs honest. The amount of words she learned is so minimal that now she struggling in her primary one. I would not send my younger one there for sure.