Wednesday, November 25, 2009

No more swimming

He's been crying during swimming lessons and refusing to swim, and finally I said, " Fine, we'll stop swimming."

I think falling sick twice after swimming is the cause of this. Sam keeps telling him not to swallow the swimming pool water because he'll get sick. Obviously, at this stage, he still swallows some water, which causes him to cough because he's scared of getting sick again, and cry, which makes his nose stuffy, and hence difficult to swim.

I was upset with him today for refusing to swim. But eventually I said to myself that if Sean really dislikes something, I shouldn't push it.

So we left halfway the lesson because he didn't want to enter the water anyway and there'll be no more swimming lessons. I want him to know how to swim so he can save himself if he ever falls into water. But it looks like he really dislikes swimming since the flu.

I'm going to cajole him the next few days to see if he'll continue for at least another month but knowing my son, I think we'll have to wait until he wants to learn it at his own time. I just feel that it's a big pity because he was just only beginning to get it.

3 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Mamalina, read with interest your this swimming posting. Not many kids when young will take to water like ducks...but no problemos.
Some of the World's Olympic swimming champions took to swimming late.

I would suggest, if you'll pardon my 45 cents worth here...give him time. Push him and he might get put off swimming.
Maybe try some reverse psychology...take him swimming or to the beach with a few of his gang, just leave him, let him play with them...however, find a kid who can swim...and he'll go along....this way he can see rhere's no worries with being in water.

By the way, teach him fishing meantime....one of the best interest you can get your boy to take up. Try a pond where the fishes are easy to catch....I can tell you this...one hook, he holding that bamboo rod...see he has a fish....
Lady, your worries are over, ha ha.

You have a pleasant weekend and keep a song in your heart, best regards, lee.

LittleLamb said...

maybe stir his interest in swimming at a later stage.. its a good skill to pick up..

Mamalina said...

Yeah, I'm not going to push him. We'll take it up again when he's a little older.

Uncle Lee: LOL. I don't know how to fish and we live in the city, so there are not many places for fishing. When we have easy access to a swimming pool, I'll go swimming with him myself and try to get him interested again. But I'm not going to push.