Monday, November 9, 2009

Sean @ 38 month old

Half of Sean's 38th month seemed to be spent at home wiping noses.
But looking back at the pictures I took, he has grown by leaps and bound.

It's quite amazing at the speed children at this age learns. Everything seems to click this month.






Writing 'Optimus Prime'
Today, Sean gave us a surprise. While I was trying to encourage him to scribble on paper, just to get him used to holding a pen, he suddenly said that he wanted to write Optimus Prime. The last time I tried to get him to any writing was a month ago, and he hasn't wanted to do any writing since then. So I thought he wasn't interested and I didn't want to push.


Anyway, I spelled out Optimus Prime and he wrote it by himself. He didn't now how to write 'S' so I wrote 's' as an example, and he followed the example. We were pleasantly surprised that his handwriting is not too bad, it's at least legible he he he....

Reading aloud

I noticed that he seems to be ready to read beginning books. So I borrowed some really simple books for him to read. I've read them to him a few times. There are, of course, words that he doesn't know, but I thought if he was not adverse to it, why not get him read, even pretend reading is good. =D

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
This is one of his favorite books. Although I know he can read a few words here and there, I think in this video he was mostly saying aloud from memory.



Silly Races
This is a beginning Kipper's book. It has very short sentences. He really likes it.



The Balloon
He didn't read it properly, but he's a cheeky boy.



Play Cooking

Here's a video of Sean cooking for his soft toys. What's funny is that his soft toys has to follow a certain sequence. First Caterpillar, Tigger, Hippo, Dog, Manate, and last Cow. We tried fooling him and mix up the sequence of his soft toys while he plays with them. But he insists that they have to follow that particular sequence. When his mind is fixed on something, it can't be changed.



Last Day at Children's Corner



Last Saturday was the last day at Children's Corner for the year 2009. So each child has to be a letter from Letterland. Sean is Annie Apple. Here he is with a few friends whom I managed to take photographs of.


Sean and Alvie, Robber Red.








Sean and Grace, Uppity Umbrella.


Sean and Emily, Bouncy Ben.













Lesson on W



This was one of the last lessons for the year, the letter W. Sharon, one of the volunteer teachers, was telling the children about water. Look at them all enraptured by the lesson. I love to see these children so interested.


Visit to Science Center

Here are pictures of Sean and Daddy when we went to the Science Center before he got sick. Sam wanted to bring Sean to see the Dinosaur exhibit even before he was hospitalized. But we tarried too long and by the time we went there, the Dinosaur exhibition was over.




There was still one T-Rex and a few other dinosaurs. But Sean was too scared to appreciate them. Nonetheless, the Science Center is very interesting and we hope to go there again when they have something new.

Finally swimming

A week before he got sick, he finally managed to conquer his fear of water and actually swam. On that day, he cried for the first half and hour, refusing to enter the swimming pool. I tried to cajoule him but to no avail. Finally, I said'Ok, we'll call Daddy to pick us up. Meanwhile, why don't you play jumping into the water with Coach Wayne?' Which finally made him enter the swimming pool.

By the time Sam came, he was already doing his swimming lesson, and after the lesson he swam with his swimming board all by himself!

4 comments:

michelle@mybabybay said...

He looks cute in the apple suit.

LittleLamb said...

He is good at his swimming. When did u start him on lessons??

John Wee said...

Yeah he looks quite a natural in the water.

GOsh I think I didn't learn how to swim until I was 10.

Mamalina said...

Rachael: He started to swim beginning of June. The reason I sent him was because he was afraid of water. I wanted him to be comfortable in water.

John: He stills refuse to go swimming every other week. But usually by the time he gets there, he'll join the lesson and afterward play in he water.