Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Nen-Nen


A funny thing happens when you breastfeed your baby. Your breasts are no longer your own. In my case, they belong to Sean. In other words, they are his 'nen-nen'.

When Sean was young, I was forever offering him the breasts, either it's because I think he's hungry or I think he needs comfort. Breasts are useful things to have. Not only they produce fresh milk for your little darling, they're a source of comfort to him. When he falls while learning to walk, I offer the breasts and soon his cries dies down and he happily enjoys his nen-nen.

They're even a source of entertainment =D... When he's bored, he pokes at them.. Ok...not all the time, he still prefers my squishy tummy for entertainment. The tummy makes ruder noises when he blows them! LOL =P

Recently, my cleavage has another function. It has become Sean's pocket! He's shoved face towels, tissue, papers, stickers, even books and CDs into my singlet!

As he grows older, it's going to be rather embarrassing in public the way he indifferently treat my cleavage as his personal thirst quencher and pocket. Now he knows how to ask to nurse when he's thirsty or hungry. He'll pull at or put his hands into my t-shirt when he wants nen-nen and says 'ne-ne'.

So I've been contemplating about weaning him and starting him on formula. So earlier today I made a bottle and offered it to him. He took a sip, made a face, retreat to his corner (he was playing by himself) and said 'nye-nye-nye' (not sure what he meant, but probably 'don't like'). I kept offering him the bottle and entreat him to try some more. He threw a major tantrum and refused to stop until I asked hubby to put away the bottle and offer him his nen-nen. Tantrums stopped and he happily sucked away into blissful sleep. He was probably sleepy and it wasn't the right time to introduce the formula.

I'm still not decided whether or not it's a good idea to wean him or let him wean himself as he grows older. I wonder how long it'll take for him to wean himself?

4 comments:

jazzmint said...

hehe..even after weaning for almost a year, Vyktore is still a very breast-person :|

Mamalina said...

So is this why they become breast men? =P

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

you could ask bridget who successfully did a child-led weaning....

Mamalina said...

Sure!.... is she coming to the CNY party?