Thursday, January 31, 2008

Reminiscense part 3 - Babywearing

This is just to remember the first year when I was forever carrying Sean. During the first year, I went everywhere carrying Sean in a sling, but I have so few photos (and not of good quality) to remember about it because hubby never took photos unless I asked. =(


This was when Sean was 4 months old at Christmas time.
I made a simple baby sling with a cute Mango candy striped beach sarong. This was my favourite sling. The material was comfy and it was easy to put on and take off. The sling can be converted as a blanket (even for me!) or pillow.

Sean was a clingy baby who wanted to be carried everywhere. But I guess it's just the nature of babies to want to be in close contact with their mummies at all times.

I had several people telling me not to make a habit of carrying Sean because it'll be a lot of hard work having to carry him when he gets heavier. But I didn't have the heart to reject him from wanting to be close to me just because I shouldn't make it a habit. My wrists hurt due to the endless pumping during the early months. But I had the sling to assist me, so it was not really a problem as Sean got bigger and heavier.


When Sean was 3 months old, I slipped down the stairs while carrying him. It was my fault.. I was sleepy and my pants were too long. I think I slipped on the cuffs of my pants. Luckily we were both alright. But after that I had a phobia about going down the stairs with Sean. So I made sure that I carry him in the sling and always have myhand on the stair railing when going up and down the stairs since then.

My hubby is still traumatized over that fall. Every single day when I bring Sean down, he will ask if I'm wearing the sling and if I was awake enough to carry Sean down the stairs. Even now when my wrists no longer hurt and I can carry Sean down confidently, he still asks every morning.
The sling has been very useful. At one stage, Sean needed to be rocked and carried to sleep.I would put him in the sling and walked around until he falls asleep. I can do things at the same time too.






When Sean was 10 months old, he wanted to push the pram even when he still couldn't walk.






We had no maid for 2 months, so I had to carry Sean to do household chores. Sean was still crawling and since I didn't want to leave him alone, I carried him all about the house. By then I had bought the heavy duty Ergo sling since Sean was already 12 kg.



Now that Sean is bigger and can hold on to me while being carried, I don't use the sling anymore. Somehow he feels lighter now. But I still bring the Ergo sling along when I go to the library . Put him into the backpack position and then I can browse for books in peace without having to worry if he was tearing any books apart.

4 comments:

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

i love the last photo!! the both of you looks so contented!! Doesn't sean wriggle to get down when it the sling now?? maybe he's used to it :)

Mamalina said...

He's quite used to being in the sling, but he hasn't been in them for a few months now.He prefers to walk, so I don't bother carrying the sling everywhere anymore. But sometimes when we go out and he's sleepy and wants me to carry him, I wished I carry the sling. Makes life so much better.

Peridot&Sapphire said...

it's so nice to wear our baby uh? I never think that it will be comfortable until I tried it with the sarong... I think I like it but en en already almost 2 years now... maybe next baby.

Mamalina said...

Yup Sharine. Sean suddenly became clingy again the last few days and ant me to carry him all the time. So out came the slings, otherwise I cna't cope having to carry him so much. Not strong enough =P