Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Home Sweet Home and the Flu

November 9th 2007


Sean with Opa & Oma.









The first time Opa met Sean.








Sean with Aunt Verni and his cousins, Fendi and Frederick. The only reason I look taller than my nephews is because I was wearing high heels and they weren't. =P







My nephew, Fendi (8 yrs old). He's big! He's almost as tall as I am and he's 3 kg heavier than me!







My nephew, Frederick (5 yrs old). He's also huge. I'll be the shorty auntie in a few years time.






We are back from a one week trip to Jakarta. This was the first time Sean met my family. It was a bit late, but better late than never, right? I do wish that we can live closer to my family, so that Sean can know his grandparents, uncle, auntie and cousins better. Since, that isn't so at the moment, we can only go visit them as often as we can.

I think it was a good decision to wait until Sean was a little bit older before flying down to Jakarta. It was definitely easier to feed him as he decided that he wanted to eat adult food from now on. "No more mushy baby food mummy!" is what he would have said if only he can talk now. He also learned to drink from a straw and was usually sharing our food and drink when we eat out.

On the other hand, he is at the stage when he is mistrustful of all strangers, which meant that he wasn't friendly to my grandmothers, parents,uncles, aunts, brother, sis-in-law and nephews. At first he allowed my dad to carry him and we were rather surprised at how easily he adapted to my dad. But unfortunately it was just that once during the first few days. But as he slowly got used to everyone at home, he allowed others to get close to him. And by the 2nd last day, he liked my brother so much that he was always asking my brother to carry him, which ignited my 5 year old nephew's (Frederick) jealousy. Nope.. nope.... you can't touch my dad!.... which is exactly the way Sean reacts whenever my nephews (Fendy & Frederick) come close or talk to me. In fact, he managed to scratch Frederick's face once when I wasn't so vigilant!

Although it was wonderful to meet up with my family, we didn't time the trip correctly. Firstly, there was no maid and everyone at home was busy everyday. Jakarta's traffic is crazier than normal. The new busway system is taking up precious road and making it totally awful to be on the road. So we decided not to venture far on our own, which left us to the nearest shopping mall, which unfortunately is being partly renovated. Hopefully by the time we go back next year, the new shopping centre nearby my parent's house will be ready and they have somehow sorted out the mess of the traffic jam in Jakarta.

Like most trips, the sweetest part is coming home. Sean was so happy to arrive home. He was all smiles as he enter the house and started playing with his toys even though it was almost midnight by the time we arrived home. It was good to be back home and sleeping on our own beds again. Home is always the best.

Unfortunately for me, I've got the flu by the2nd day we got home. I think my body finally decided that it can get sick after going through Sean's high fevers which started a week before the trip and then the traveling to Jakarta. In Jakarta, Sean was practically glued onto me, which didn't give me much rest during the day. At night, we were attacked by vicious hungry mosquitoes, even after we sprayed the room with Baygon, which left me with even yet less sleep. And of course, Sean had to change his sleeping habit during the trip. He woke up progressively earlier and earlier each day, which again, left me with barely enough sleep every day.

But was it worth it? Yes of course! anything for my darling Sean......a mummy's job is never done, but it's still the best job in the world!

No comments: